So, I did something the other day that has been on my buck list for years. I have always wanted to be a part of a musical. So I tried out. I love to sing, but used to be terrified of any audience. Over the last couple of years I have gained a strong confidence and love for performing and speaking in front of audiences, while working in the adventure education environment. I am not sure what I was thinking, the last time I tried out for a musical my throat seemed to swell up at the moment I walked into audition. My voice came out as some strange frog-like croak. Since then it has been such a scary thing to even think that I could audition for a play. I decided this summer that I would get involved somehow, and muster the courage to sing in a musical.
I came across an old high school friend who introduced me to a group doing several vignetts including the King and I, for a benefit concert for the cancer society. They were already well into the rehearsal schedule so I expected little other than the back up for the back up singers. I went to the first rehearsal I knew about last Saturday. I was quite lost, but just before I left they asked me if I wanted to audition for a solo. I was super nervous and was only given 2 quick run throughs. I didn't even have the words memorized. Right before we began they asked us to act it out. As I went up I almost quit, I was so afraid, they encouraged me to try and so I said to my self....
"Whenever I feel afraid
I hold my head erect
and whistle a happy tune
So no one will suspect
I'm afraid."
(That is the song we sang.) I went with it and was shaking in my boots, I was terrified. However, I was so shocked to find that the frog that used to come out of my throat did not make an appearance that day. I was just grateful to sound decent.
I was super late to the rehearsal tonight because of work. I was not sure if I should just give up on the venture, but I decided to go and at least tell them in person. So as I did they asked me if I wanted to give up my solo with the King and I. I was so excited I screamed inside my head, and later proceeded to scream to Elise on the phone. I also tackled Elise out of excitement later. I told them promptly that I would make time for the rehearsals.
I was not sure if Provo would hold any kind of grand adventure for me. Turns out that Provo is holding up to it's end of the bargain.


1 comment:
Pam! You're going to be famous!!
Post a Comment